I meant to tell about this a few weeks ago, but I have delayed.
Most of you know, I work at a pet store. A lot of you may not think about the kinds of food we carry. But we make sure EVERY pet has food...including the snakes. Some people feed their snakes pre-killed(frozen) mice and rats...but unfortunately for the snakes who prefer their dinner fresh, we have to carry live rodents.
I'm usually the one to feed and clean the cages for the "Feeder rats", so from day one upon their first arrival to the store, I had a strong and immediate bond to them. So many people think "Ewww grosss!" When they hear the word "rat". Sure they've had their bad rep in the past...but have we forgotten the beauty of forgiveness? :) Now If i had not had the experiences I've had we've these rats while working here, i may be thinking the same things as you, but I'm curious to see if i can enlighten you, and maybe change your views on these frowned upon creatures. :) It's going to be sad and beautiful.
After so much observation of these animals over the past year, I've grown to adore them...but what saddens me is their fate...their lot in life. They come into this world, happy, young, energetic, and rearing with life. Then they are taken from their mothers when they are just old enough to not need her anymore...and some younger than that.(The pre-killed ones) Now these are VERY intelligent animals. For those of you who think animals have no personalities, no thought process...you my dear, have never had the joy of owning an animal. Just like humans, each is as different from one another as I am to you. Now the reason I say this, is because you must know that when they arrive to the store for the first time, they have been together. None of them have ever left the "family". They are not afraid of human hands, but they quickly learn that a human hand is the most feared thing imaginable at the time. When they come in, they show no fear whatsoever. They run to your hand willingly, smelling you their whiskers tickling your hands. they give light, light nips, but never, ever hurting you. they have so much trust...but what's this? The hand takes one of their siblings away...and hours go by..days..they never return. Another one goes...then another..sometimes in the same day. They don't know where they are going. Who's to tell them...since they never return. But they know it can't be good. So they huddle together in the back of the cage when the door opens revealing a human hand. Yet they do not try and fight or bite. they try to run, but never escape.
Now as depressing as this is sounding, there is a good part of the story. Like life there are sad and horrible things in it...but there are always good. So now we get to the meat of what I am going to tell you.
A few weeks ago, I was in the back eating lunch, and listening to music. My mind always floods with thoughts when I listen to music. Well this day, I happen to notice such commotion coming from the feeder rats cages. They were playing. The cute little critters were wrestling, and tumbling over each other. And I've seen them play before, all the time, but for some reason a light bulb came on in my head this day I saw them. I thought, isn't it amazing, that even though, knowing they will soon disappear with the human hand...they still are enjoying what life they are given. They find ways to enjoy life. I hadn't been happy around this time, and this just hit me like a bolt of lightning. How can i complain and mope about my life? These rats are born to be fed to snakes, and yet they are happy! How??? Like I said before, rats are very social creatures. And the reason they stay happy, is because they have each other. They have friends, family who are there for them, who take care other them, they have (this one's for Megan) snuggle buddies. :) And I thought, you know. If these rats can enjoy life, well so can I. It opened my eyes.
So the moral of the story is no matter how hard your life is, you must enjoy what you are given, and it's possible. Find a hobby, musical instrument, spending time with family and friends. Find joy in the journey. Our fate will hopefully not end like the feeder rats, but even if it were, let it have been a happy life, have memories to cherish in your heart forever.
Rats never bite, they are actually very clean, smart, and make wonderful pets! I almost got 2. Their life span is only 2-3 yrs. though, but they make the most of it!
Much love to you all!
~Hayley~
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment